Emory-UGA CEIRS focuses on surveillance of swine influenza viruses and investigation of swine immune responses to virus infection. With collaborators in China, animal surveillance efforts include swine and poultry. Research projects include efforts to better understand the human immune response to influenza vaccination, including those of pregnant women, and studies to evaluate the duration of the influenza antibody producing cells in the bone marrow, which could aid in the development of influenza vaccines that induce long lasting immunity to multiple strains of flu.
The CEIRS Centers generate influenza surveillance and sequence data available in the public domain and accessible for further research. The public databases listed below have further information about Emory-UGA CEIRS projects, influenza viral sequences from research and surveillance studies, and animal surveillance data from Center sampling efforts.
- Influenza surveillance, sequence, and serology data can be found at the Influenza Research Database (IRD).
- Center research project descriptions and viral sequence data are available through the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
- Rafi Ahmed, PhD, Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Richard Compans, PhD, Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Anice Lowen, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Aneesh Mehta, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine
- Walter Orenstein, MD, Professor and Associate Director, Emory Vaccine Center
- David Steinhauer, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Edmund K. Waller, MD, PhD, Professor, Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology
- Jens Wrammert, PhD, Assistant Professor, Children’s Center for Immunology and Vaccines
- Chinglai Yang, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
Harbin Veterinary Research Institute in Harbin, China
- Hualan Chen, PhD, Professor
Harvard Medical School
- Richard Cummings, PhD, Visiting Professor of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine
- S. Mark Tompkins, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Infectious Diseases
- Ralph A. Tripp, PhD, Professor, Department of Infectious Diseases
- Bali Pulendran, PhD, Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
Center Data Managers
- Vicki Hertzberg, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Emory University
- Andrea Plotsky, Manager, Department of Biostatistics, Emory University
- Ramya Govindarajan, MSPH, Data Manager, School of Nursing, Emory University
- Erin-Joi Collins, Sr. Associate Director, Emory-UGA Center of Excellence for Influenza Research and Surveillance (CEIRS), Emory University