Scientists at NYICE study how the human immune system responds to flu vaccines and to seasonal and pandemic viral infections. Studies that analyze blood samples from adults and children from the same household that display no symptoms or acute symptoms of flu will lead to a better understanding of how the human immune system responds to the virus. These studies are laying the groundwork to inform and improve the design of flu vaccines to better protect against illness. NYICE investigators also are studying how social media platforms can be leveraged to collect real-time data on flu outbreaks.
The CEIRS Centers generate influenza surveillance and sequence data available in the public domain and accessible for further research. The public databases listed below have further information about NYICE projects, influenza viral sequences from research and surveillance studies, and animal surveillance data from Center sampling efforts.
- Influenza surveillance, sequence, and serology data can be found at the Influenza Research Database (IRD).
- Center research project descriptions and viral sequence data are available through the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
University of Rochester Medical Center
- Angela Branche, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine
- Doreen M. Francis, RN, CCRC
- Jennifer Nayak, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics
- Mark Y. Sangster, PhD, Research Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Andrea J. Sant, PhD, Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- David Topham, PhD, Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
Oxford Clinical Research Unit, Hanoi
- H. Rogier Van Doorn, MD, PhD, Director, Oxford Clinical Research Unit, Hanoi
Food and Drug Administration, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research
- Hana Golding, PhD, Chief, Laboratory of Retrovirus Research, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research
- Surender Khurana, PhD, Staff Scientist, Division of Viral Products, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research
University of Chicago
- Sarah Cobey, PhD, Principal Investigator, Department of Ecology & Evolution
- Patrick C. Wilson, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Medicine
University of Melbourne
- Annette Fox, PhD, Senior Research Scientist, WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Influenza
- Kanta Subbarao, MBBS, MPH, Director, WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Influenza
University of Michigan
- Arnold Monto, MD, Professor, Department of Epidemiology
- Joshua Petrie, PhD, MPH, Research Investigator, Department of Epidemiology
University of Pennsylvania
- Scott Hensley, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology
Texas Biomedical Research Institute
- Luis Martinez-Sobrido, PhD, Professor, Department of Disease Intervention and Prevention
Center Data Manager
- Jeanne Holden-Wiltse, MPH, Department of Biostatistics and Computational Biology, University of Rochester Medical Center
- Donna Neu, PMP, New York Influenza Center of Excellence (NYICE)